Presenting Some Superstitions About Periods from Across the Globe on World Menstrual Hygiene Day
You’re probably thinking or rather say, believing that India does top the list amongst countries across the world when it’s about superstitions. You might be right to some extent, but there are other countries as well that have some unbelievable and jaw-dropping superstitions that people still tend to believe in the 21st century.
So is the case when it’s about menstrual cycle amongst women. Today as we celebrate ‘World Menstrual Hygiene Day’ together, Bloggers Globe plans to drop down some jaw-dropping superstitions that people tend to believe in different countries all across the globe. Let’s try to emphasize on few of them.
So what’s the wait for. Here we go.
The United States/United Kingdom
- You are expected not to take bath during periods. Like seriously?
- You are clumsy.
- Women having periods are suggested not to go for camping as bears can smell it from a distance as well.
- Vegetables are not believed to pickle if been touched by a woman on periods.
This might come as a shock to you, but women going through their menstrual cycle in Nepal can’t be in homes. Not only this, but they are also not allowed to have contact with anyone else. Even I am scratching my head in disbelief while penning down this fact.
- A woman who gets her period for the first time is slapped on the face in a belief that she will have beautiful, red cheeks all her life.
- Showering with hot water on periods can hefty the flow.
- It’s recommended not to consume cold drinks as they can provide women amidst periods cramp.
- Washing or cutting off the hair is deterred.
- Women during their menstrual cycle avoid any physical contact with their partners believing it might kill them.
- This one is interesting. In Malaysia, it is supposed to wash your used sanitary pads before throwing it away. If not done so, ghosts might appear to haunt you. Did you ever meet such a ghost for not practicing this superstition?
- You are not suggested/allowed to make sushi as women going through periods are assumed to have an imbalance in taste.
You might already be familiar with almost every pointer that we are about to include below. Despite that, let’s focus on them as well.
- Still in many places, people don’t allow women going through periods to enter a kitchen or cook food for anyone. You may find it astounding if you’re reading this for the first time.
- During menstruation, women are prohibited from entering a place of worship. Like, what’s the occurrence that can be caused if a woman enters so?
- You are allowed to enter the place of prayer only after you have taken bath.
So these were some of the many shocking superstitions people believe, almost everywhere in the world. Do let us know your reaction after reading it till the end.
Image Credit: Times of India